I offer two services: proofreading and copyediting. The Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) offers a clear explanation of the differences between the two here.
If you ask me to proofread your text, I will fix errors and make sure the text adheres to the style guide you’re using. I have experience of using the standard guides (e.g. MLA, Chicago, Harvard APA, the AP Guide, the Guardian Style Guide, etc.), as well as several house styles.
What do I mean by error? If you type their where you meant they’re, I’ll change it. However, I will not address the more substantive issues that are dealt with by a copyeditor.
Jennifer is a professional with clear values which becomes extremely important when you’re talking about about your pieces of writing and editing services. Despite offering editing and English classes as part of her business, she will tell you clearly what you kind of services you need –or not–, for the sake of your own interest. … Continue reading Ale Benitez
If you ask me to copyedit your work, I will:
- make sure the overall structure of the piece works and point out any holes or weaknesses.
- alert you to major structural problems.
- check the formatting of your work.
- check that you’ve applied the referencing system correctly.
- alert you to potential legal issues.
- alert you to potential inaccuracies; if you want me to check facts for you, let me know before I give you a quote for your work.
If you have any questions about my services, please contact me here.
If you want a quote for copyediting or proofreading, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- the total word count for the document(s).
- the subject you’re writing about
- whether you want it proofread or copyedited
- the date by which you need the work to be completed.
- a short extract from the middle of your piece (about 1,000 words in most cases).
My prices are based on the SfEP guidelines, which you’ll find here.
The price I quote you will not change; if the job takes me longer than expected, so long as you send me only what we agree upfront, I will not charge you extra.